When to Arrive!
Arrival time this year is 2pm!
Our workshops and activities will begin at 3pm.
Dinner will be served at 6pm, so if you’re coming on Saturday make sure to eat before arriving, or pick up something to eat long the way!
The retreat location this year will be at the Gindling Hilltop Camp in Malibu, CA.
The most direct route is via the Pacific Coast Highway…
Coming from Los Angeles, from the end of the Santa Monica Freeway (10), you will head north on PCH, and drive 29.3 miles north, until you reach Yerba Buena Road (The restaurant “Neptune’s Net” is on corner of PCH and Yerba Buena.)
Make a right on Yerba Buena, travel another ½ mile up Yerba Buena, and enter Gate 4 on the left – the road winds 1.5 miles up to Hilltop.
More detailed instructions can be found at the facility’s website:
If you are coming in from out of town, we do have an option for you… We have a shuttle service that originates at our hospitality suite, which is at a hotel blocks from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
If you are flying in, we recommend that you arrange your flight to arrive first thing in the morning on Friday the 2nd.
If that isn’t possible, and your flight will bring you in on Thursday, you are welcome to join us at our hospitality suite.
The accommodations on Thursday are like a big slumber party… and everyone will be shuttled to the retreat on Friday morning / early afternoon.
Please try not to arrive at LAX later than 2pm on Friday!
The hospitality suite will be available after 3pm on Thursday. If you’re coming on Thursday, you are welcome to hang out in the room… or if your adventurous, you can take an Uber of Lyft to the beach, or go to dinner with some of the other sistahs!
After the retreat, the shuttle will return you to the airport, or to the LAX area. If you need transportation to another location, let us know. We may be able to accommodate you!
The anticipated cost to use the hospitality suite and/or transportation is $75 per person. This year, we are requiring payments in advance to make it easier for everyone.
In addition, for those who are flying in… for $20, Blu can provide you with a sleeping bag, to help cut down on your baggage fees.
You are free to keep the bag after the retreat, or donate it back, and blu will donate it to a homeless shelter, or to a youth group.
If you haven’t already, please register for these services at… http://blacklesbiansunited.org/travel-registration/
We’ll send an email by the 20th for payment and for final instructions!
What to Bring? What to Wear? What to Expect
The best part about BLU is that the retreat is casual… and you can be as casual or as dressy as you’d like to be!
As we get closer to the retreat, we’ll have an idea of the weather…. But we’ll be in Malibu, so normally during the day it’s shorts weather…
At night… pants and a jacket will suffice…
We will be having “The White Party,” so plan for that… and our famous “Pool Party,” a swimsuit, shorts and a T… whatever you’re comfortable in.
Also… plan to bring:
- Sleeping bag or other bedding (sheets, blankets, pillow), Towels and washcloths.
- Stadium Pillow or Blanket (for our evening shows)
- Bring your dancing shoes, because we there will be Dancing at Club BLU!
- And bring your whites, because we’ll be having the White (and Blu!) party!
- Bring your hiking shoes (or sturdy tennis shoes), because there will be opportunities for hiking!
- Bring your drum, because we will be drumming… and Afrikan Dancing! (Don’t worry if you don’t have a drum to bring… We’ve got your back!)
- Want to create work of art to take home with you? Got it.
- Ready to challenge your body as well as your mind? Join us for Morning Yoga!
- Want to honor the relationship that you are in? We’re doing it.
- Want to work on your dating skills? This is the place.
- Do you like to eat? Our food gets consistently high marks from attendees!
- Do you want to relax? You will.
- Have any $$ left? Bring it for our vendors, or to purchase some BLU gear!
- In addition, make sure that you bring:
- If you are sleeping in a cabin or camping: Sleeping bag or other bedding (sheets, blankets, pillow), Towels and washcloths.
- Shower Shoes
- Warm Clothing (can get very chilly at night)
- Stadium Pillow or Blanket (for our evening shows)
- Swimwear (a suit, or shorts and a bra or t-shirt)
- an extension cord or a power strip if you have things to plug in.
- Water Bottle
- Clothes to have fun in… Basketball, games, etc.
BLU 2016 Facebook Group
If you are on Facebook, you can join our BLU 2016 Facebook group!
This group is limited to those who register and attend…
It’s a great way to meet folks in advance, and to share your stories and tips…
To get registered, we’ll need your Facebook name, and the email address that is attached to your Facebook account.
To make it easy… just fill out this form, and check your mail in a few days for the invitation!
Registration for the retreat is still open… Tell your friends!
The current rate is $300, but that will increase at the end of July!
Don’t let your friends miss out on this opportunity!
Send them to:
http://blacklesbiansunited.org for more information!
If you completed the retreat registration your friend/partner and used your email address, please make sure to forward this to them! Especially for the travel and Facebook group info.
Everyone has to register individually for those features